Summer is fast approaching and you have two options in your approach – plan in the summer or beg in the fall. The prevailing myth is that you can’t avoid the so-called “summer slump.” But I challenge you today – be careful about buying into those average ways of thinking. You CAN flatten that summer dip – and make sure it’s a minor dip instead of a drastic drop-off.
1. Prepare now for the “Summer Slump”.
- Don’t Wait. Start now – don’t put off planning until middle of July when you see your giving has dipped. Don’t wait until middle of vacation season. Prepare as early in the year as possible.
- Start Measuring. Track your giving and look for trends so you can plan for those dips – and what you need to do to offset them. Track your giving and look for trends so you can plan for those dips – and what you need to do to offset them.
2. Remind your people about giving over the summer.
- Challenge them to automate their giving. Acknowledge they may be traveling but even if they miss services, they can stay strong in this spiritual discipline. If just 10% of them do it, it turns a drastic drop-off in giving into a small dip.
- Remind them of the impact. Your people are not thinking about this – about how when they are not attending, they are not giving. Let them know what their giving supports and how it makes a difference.
3. Beware of gimmicks. They only work once. Avoid promises to change your giving overnight. Instead look for proven, Biblical practices in how you approach stewardship.
4. Give your people multiple ways to give.
- Offer giving options outside of the Sunday service:
- Online Giving – They can do this even when they are away
- Automated Giving – They don’t have to worry about missing a week – encourages greater discipleship .
- Update your offering envelope. Make sure it gives them options right there to sign up for automated giving.
Check back tomorrow for Part 2 and the rest of the 8 tactics you can use to avoid the summer slump!
Your partner in ministry,
Time is running out to save big with the Super Early Bird Rate! Join me, Dr. Gary McIntosh, Steve Stroope and Kerrick Thomas for the all-new 2015 Church Systems Check-up and Boot Camp, July 22-24 at Disney World, Orlando. This year’s key theme is one of the most highly requested – STEWARDSHIP. You will discover how each of the 8 systems can raise the level of stewardship in your church. Plus, drill down on ALL 8 Systems of a healthy church with practical strategies you and your team can take back and start implementing right away!
Last Week for Super Early Bird Rate – Register Now and Save $350.00!
Share This Post