At the Journey we started thinking about how baseball teams measure the effectiveness of their offence by Runners Batted In. We started to think about preaching in terms of RBIs—how do we move people around the bases, help people take next steps, and encourage them to run the distance?
So we came up with our own acronym—RTLs, Radically Transformed Lives. For RTLs to happen, three things must be happening:
- Unbelievers must be coming to your church on a regular basis.
- Attenders must be introduced to a personal relationship with Jesus in unique and creative ways
- Believers, new and mature alike, must be continually challenged to take the next steps in their lifelong journey with Jesus Christ
All of this requires advanced planning. Here’s why:
Someone told me early on in my preaching career that “somebody pays the price for the sermon.” Either the preacher will pay the price by advanced planning, or the people will pay the price by wasting their time.
3 Advantages to Planning Your Preaching in Advanced:
- Stress and anxiety are reduced, and you become a better teacher when you do not have to come up with content at the last minute. You will have more confidence and will be able to maximize your content.
- It becomes possible to integrate other areas of your church into your service. For example, The Journey sometimes incorporates small group content and curriculum into the sermon to create synergy around a specific topic.
- You can be more creative with worship service and promotion when you know which messages series is coming months in advance.
Your Partner in Ministry,
P.S. As you may already know, I have made my “Top 10 Fall Sermons” available at HALF-OFF this week so you can get a jump on your planning! Every sermon series includes a transcripts, outlines, graphics and over 60 hours of sermon preparation by our teaching team. Click this link to view all Top 10 Fall Sermon Series for Half-Off.
Share This Post