Obviously, Nietzsche and I don’t agree on everything, but on this statement we do.
And as a church leader, you need to learn this lesson well and repeatedly…
The most powerful word for leading change in your church is BECAUSE.
I brought this up in my Assimilation Coaching Network recently to help churches increase the number of people who complete Connection Cards in each service.
One of the members of that network, Matt Barnett (Connections Pastor at Solid Rock Community Church in Covington, Washington) and I emailed back and forth and he gave me permission to share a “Because” list that he and his team compiled.
Here’s Matt’s list of reasons why everyone should fill out a Connection Card at his church:
1. Because we are updating our database (specifically useful when people are getting back into routines, like the first of the year or when school starts in the fall).
2. We ask both you and your spouse to fill out a card individually because you each have an individual spiritual journey with Jesus, so your next steps are different too.
3. Because it makes our guests feel more comfortable completing their cards when they see you filling out yours.
4. Because, members and regular attenders, the next steps on this card are for you.
5. Because this card is how you sign up for a small group.
6. Because we all have friends that don’t yet have a relationship with Jesus, and by writing those names (as a next step), we as a staff will join you in praying for them!
Great work Matt!
Of course, the beauty of this principle is that it will work for just about anything you”re trying to lead yourself or other people to do – find enough reasons why and the how gets a lot easier…
It’s the power of BECAUSE!
P.S. Want to know more about how using this simple tool called a “Connection Card” can drastically increase the number of newcomers who get plugged in at your church? Check out The Assimilation Intensive.
Share This Post