In celebration of this month’s 504th anniversary of the Reformation, I’d like to share some fun facts about Martin Luther.
In his life, Martin Luther:
- Wrote several influential books that explained his teachings on important doctrines. His works, translated into English, have filled 75 volumes thus far.
- Married Katharina Von Bora, one of a group of nuns that Luther had helped to rescue from a convent. They had six children, two of whom died before reaching adulthood.
- Was a prolific hymn writer. Some of them are still being sung today. A Mighty Fortress is Our God is considered one of the great hymns of all time.
- Had his teachings become the cornerstone of a new denomination called Lutheranism. Luther did not want his name used for the new group; he thought they should be called simply Christians, or Evangelicals.
- Taught that reason could enhance faith, when it was enlightened by God’s Holy Spirit.
- Taught that Christians must be obedient to God’s law. He fought against Antinomian teachers who said that the law no longer applied to Christians.
Your partner in ministry,
Share This Post